Sunday 15 November 2015

The Conscience of Star Trek

"Mr. Roddenberry started calling me the conscience of Star Trek."
Leonard Nimoy



"In fact, I got to know Mr. Spock long before I knew the actor who played him. It was a mark of his integrity that he was so loyal to the role he portrayed. When I finally did get to know the man better, I discovered his compassion, his intelligence and his humanity. All of which laid the foundation for his keen sense of philanthropy."
Walter Koenig

According to Star Trek cast member Walter Koenig (U.S.S. Enterprise's navigator "Pavel Chekov"), Leonard Nimoy fought for gender pay equity in the 1960s and made sure "Lieutenant Uhura" Nichelle Nichols was not paid less than Walter Koenig and "Hikaru Sulu" George Takei.
"Leonard (Nimoy, Mr. Spock) was always kind of unapproachable. But a very good man. Sound ethics and a good sense of morality." "When it came to the attention of the cast that there was a disparity in pay in that George [Takei] and I were getting the same pay but Nichelle was not getting as much, I took it to Leonard and he took it to the front office and they corrected that." "There was also the case where George and Nichelle we’re not hired to do their voices in the animated series. I refused to do Spock until they were hired. Mr. Roddenberry started calling me the conscience of Star Trek."  Walter Koenig


- related posting: Leonard Nimoy
- photographs of Leonard Nimoy via and via

2 comments:

  1. A solid gold Sunday posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leonard Nimoy keeps being a wonderful inspiration for postings. Many thanks, Derek, and have a lovely Sunday!

      Delete