Friday 21 March 2014

World Down Syndrome Day

"Having Down syndrome is like being born normal. I am just like you and you are just like me. We are all born in different ways, that is the way I can describe it. I have a normal life." Chris Burke (actor)



Picture you, picture me ...

"Picture you, Picture me is a collaborative and explorative portrait project with my daughter Laoisha. Naturally evolving from my daughter’s curiosity and urge to stand on the other side of the camera, she has taken more and more control of the camera and of me. Directing each other through role-play and instructions, we decide how the other stands, which direction to face and even facial expressions. These are playful interactions where the camera becomes an instrument of amusement and our photo shoots become play sessions." Emer Gillespie (photographer)



In 2011, 21st of March was declared as World Down Syndrome Day, an awareness day that this year focuses on "Health and Wellbeing - Access and Equality for All". People are encouraged to wear brightly coloured and printed socks ... many of them ... some suggest three symbolising Trisomy 21 (via).

14 comments: