Sunday 15 June 2014

World Elder Abuse Awareness Day

"Elder abuse is a global social issue which affects the health and human rights of millions of older persons around the world, and an issue which deserves the attention of the international community."
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon



Secretary-General's Message for 2013 (via)
"Around the world, older persons are tragically subject to psychological, financial or physical abuse. Unfortunately, too many older persons can be at risk. Prejudicial attitudes contribute to the problem.  Today, let us re-examine our attitudes towards ageing and the status and role of older persons. I urge Governments, civil society, and communities to raise awareness about this challenge. Governments, in particular, can help by enacting legislation to protect the abused and prosecute the abuser. We owe it to older persons and societies at large to fight ageism in all its forms and enhance the dignity and human rights of older persons everywhere."



Secretary-General's Message for 2012 (via)
"The World Health Organization estimates that between 4 and 6 per cent of older persons worldwide have suffered from a form of elder abuse — physical, emotional, financial. Furthermore, emerging research suggests that abuse, neglect and violence against older persons, both at home and in institutions, are much more prevalent than currently acknowledged. Such abuse is an unacceptable attack on human dignity and human rights. Making matters even worse, cases often remain unreported and unaddressed. Alarmed at this widening problem, the United Nations General Assembly has proclaimed World Elder Abuse Awareness Day, a new observance to be marked annually on 15 June. Respect for elders is an integral part of many societies. As people live longer, and as we strive for sustainable and inclusive development, it is time to revive and expand our appreciation for those who have advanced in years. A modern civilization can only live up to that name if it preserves the tradition of honouring, respecting and protecting society’s elders. As we commemorate the Day for the first time, let us all join in reaffirming that the human rights of older persons are as absolute as those of all human beings. I call upon Governments and all concerned actors to design and carry out more effective prevention strategies and stronger laws and policies to address all aspects of elder abuse. Let us work together to optimize living conditions for older persons and enable them to make the greatest possible contribution to our world."



Daphne Selfe was born in London in 1928. In the 1950s, she worked as a dancer and model but appeared in Vogue only when she was 70. She has also appeared in Marie Claire and campaigns by Dolce & Gabbana, GAP, Nivea and Olay (via and via).

"My five-year plan… Since people are living to 100 now, I have great hopes. I'll keep at it, keep fit, eat properly and I'll keep on working if I can."  (via).

"Other younger models admire me but they're not jealous as I'm not a threat. I have a niche all of my own." 

"I don't feel a day over 60. It's fantastic. I'll continue modelling until they stop asking. I love it. It's fun and keeps me young. I was never one for wild parties and I've never had any need to get drunk." (via)



photos via

7 comments: